A great side dish can transform a simple meal in to something really special. This tomato rice recipe is an easy one to put together and full of flavour.
Ingredients for Indian Tomato Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 small green chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsps chopped mint
- 2 tbsps chopped cilantro
- salt as needed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1 cardamom
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
How to Make Indian Tomato Rice
- Peel the onions and slice thinly. Heat oil in a pan,add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Fry for a few seconds to start the flavours developing and then add the thinly sliced onions.
- Saute the onions until they become soft and slightly golden brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for another few minutes to cook the flavour a little.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, green chillies, mint leaves, half of cilantro leaves, salt and garam masala powder. Cook until the tomatoes have become really soft.
- Add the rice and 2 cups of hot water. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until liquid is gone and the rice is cooked. Add a bit more water and continue to simmer if the rice needs extra cooking.
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro leaves and serve hot.
More About This Recipe
The turmeric brings earthy amber tones to the rice and many benefits to our health! A root that has been used for centuries for it’s medicinal properties and still is a key component to both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine. Did you know that Turmeric is used for the following? : –
- As an Anti-inflammatory. Turmeric’s yellow pigment has been shown to demonstrate a large amount of anti-inflammatory activity, helping conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and joint stiffness. It can also help with bruising and localized pain.
- As an Anti-oxidant. Studies have shown this root to be a great aid to protecting healthy cells from free radicals that can damage cells.
- To Inhibit Tumour Growth. The curcumin found in turmeric can help the body to destroy mutated cancer cells.
- To Fight Cancer. Turmeric has some encouraging evidence that it can fight tumours arising from prostate, breast, skin, colon, stomach and liver.
- To Help Prevent Heart Disease. Turmeric can lower cholesterol and prevent clogging of arteries.
- To Aid Brain Health. Alzheimer’s and Multiple Sclerosis have both been shown in studies to have been greatly reduced by the curcumin found in turmeric.
- For Digestive Help. Used to relieve bloating and flatulence.