One of my favourite ways to cook with kidney beans! The distinctive red beans are in fact not native to South Asia; they were first introduced to India through trade from Mexico. Now, rajma masala has become a classic dish and is especially popular in Northern India and Nepal. This recipe yields warm and well-spiced rajma masala, the perfect comfort food! Kidney beans are the star of the dish, complemented by coriander, cumin, garam masala, and chilies.
Ingredients for Rajma Masala
- 2 cups red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 3 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 red chilies, dried
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
How to Make Rajma Masala
- Place kidney beans in your pressure cooker and add enough water to cover. Seal the lid and cook for 15-20 minutes, depending on the type of your cooker. Release the pressure and open the lid. Remove the beans but make sure to reserve the liquid. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat up the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and onions. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add garam masala and give it a good stir. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until half of the liquid evaporates. Finally add coriander seeds, red chili, ginger, lemon juice, and salt. Stir well again and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add beans and the reserved liquid. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in one tablespoon of butter and sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves before serving.
Health Benefits of Kidney Beans
Fiber-packed kidney beans help lower the cholesterol levels in the blood and prevent blood sugar levels from rising, which is perfect for people with diabetes. They are full of high-quality proteins which make them a great meat substitute for vegetarians and vegans. Furthermore, a regular consumption of kidney beans prevents different heart diseases. These amazing health benefits are related to its high fiber content and the significant amounts of folate and magnesium. Besides, they are full of other important vitamins and minerals like vitamin B1, iron, manganese, and many other. Healthy kidney beans are the base of this popular South Asian dish.