Originally a fast food for factory workers in Maharashtra, in western India, pav bhaji combines vegetable curry with a bread roll. There are many different variants of pav bhaji, some including cheese, other with mushrooms or plantains. This pav bhaji recipe includes mashed peas, potatoes, and tomatoes, along with onions and bell pepper, all heavily seasoned for flavor. Though it has its origins as an industrial food made from leftovers, this dish is now an in-demand food staple for street vendors and sit-down restaurants alike, especially popular in Mumbai!
Ingredients for Pav Bhaji
- 3 lbs tomatoes
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium-sized bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups green peas
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 oz butter, cut into cubes
- 6 pieces ladi pav
How to Make Pav Bhaji
- Place potatoes, green peas, and tomatoes in a deep, non-stick skillet. Add ½ cup of water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to minimum and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes completely soften.
- Remove from the heat and mash with a potato masher. Set aside.
- Now, melt about three ounces of butter in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add onions and stir-fry until translucent. Season with chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, and cumin seeds. Stir well and cook for one minute.
- Add chopped bell pepper to a frying skillet and give it a good stir. Continue to cook for three more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the onion mixture with mashed vegetables and mix well. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Top with chopped coriander leaves and optionally with some butter.
- Finally, prepare the pavs. Melt the remaining butter in a medium-sized skillet. Heat up over medium-high heat. Cut the pavs horizontally into halves. Briefly, fry both sides until light brown and crisp. Serve with bhaji.