There is a time when a mix of different cuisines really works. And this is it. All the energy and comfort from the pasta: and all the warmth and excitement from the mix of spices. Here’s how to make Indian Masala Macaroni!
Ingredients for Indian Style Masala Macaroni
- 1 cup pasta
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 large tomato, blanched
- 1 red/green medium bell pepper
- 1 small carrot
- 1-2 tbsp peas
- 1tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 3 tbsp olive oil
How to Make Indian Style Masala Macaroni
- In a large pan, boil 4 cups of water and then add the pasta and salt. Simmer the water and cook for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Finelychop the onion, garlic, blanched tomato, peas, carrot and bell pepper.
- Heat a large skillet with the oil on a medium-high heat. When hot, add the chopped onion and garlic and sauteuntil soft and lightly coloured.
- Next, add the spice powders.Sautefor a couple of minutes to release the flavours and toast slightly.
- Add the vegetables to the skillet and stir in ¼ cup of the water from the cooking pasta. Stir for 5-6 minutes to allow the carrots to soften.Add salt to taste.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain the rest of the water and tip the pasta in to the skillet with the cooking vegetables and spices. Mixuntil the pasta is well coated with the vegetable mixture.
- Turn off the heat and keep the pasta covered for a couple of minutes.
- Chop the cilantro leaves.
- Divide the pasta between 4 plates and garnish with the chopped cilantro. Serve hot.
More About This Recipe
Packed with vegetables, this dish ticks all the boxes for healthy, tasty and filling. You can use a red or green pepper in this recipe, but the red ones are packed with more health benefits than the green ones. Here’s a little information on this brightly coloured, vibrant ingredient that may inspire you to use them more often. It’s one of the most nutrient dense foods available so definitely worth reading up on!
- Vitamin C. Bell peppers are full of vitamin C and this gives your immune system fuel. Plus, it works as a great anti-ageing agent. The red peppers do contain more of this important vitamin than the green ones do.
- Beta-carotene and Lycopene. The red pepper is an excellent source of these carotenes that can help protect against some cancers and heart disease.
- Vitamin K. For helping with blood health and clotting.
- B Vitamins, Such As B6, Folic Acid and Thiamine. The bell pepper can provide these great resources to help your body use the food you consume more efficiently, giving you lots of energy. They are also helpful with hormonal imbalances and immune function loss.
- An aid to combat pain, increase metabolism and stimulate the burning of fat for energy.
- As An Anti-oxidant. The bell pepper is full of anti-oxidant benefits that can help fight against the free radicals in our bodies.