Gobi Manchurian blends the best of two great cuisines: Indian and Chinese. Indo-Chinese dishes largely originate from the Chinese community living in Kolkata. Over the decades, their recipes have incorporated Indian elements and adapted to local tastes, creating innovative new dishes—such as Gobi Manchurian. For this recipe, you’ll boil cauliflower, coat it in a flour mixture, fry it, and then cover it in a deliciously spiced sauce, which can be made either mild or hot and spicy to suit your preferences.
Ingredients for Gobi Manchurian
- 1 head cauliflower 500-600 grams
- 8 tbsp oil
- 1 1/4 tsp ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Green onions
- 3 tbsp Cilantro
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 3 tbsp Wheat flour
- 100 ml Water
- 1/2 tsp Chilli pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3tbsp Tomato sauce or marinara
- 1tbsp Apple vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Black ground pepper
- ¼ tsp asafetida
How to Make Gobi Manchurian
- Boil two liters of water in a pan. Cut cauliflower into small pieces. Place them into boiling water. Boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove and dry
- In the bowl mix 3 cloves chopped garlic,1/4 tsp ginger, a couple of spoons of water and blend
- Add cornstarch and flour, pepper and salt. Blend. It should be thick and salty. If necessary, add wheat flour.
- Mix in a small bowl of soy sauce and tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, sugar, black and chili, cumin, coriander and asafetida. Set aside.
- In a frying pan with a thick bottom, heat oil. Dip the cauliflower into the flour mixture, place to the frying pan. Fry all sides until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Do not remove the frying pan from the fire fry add the chopped garlic and ginger for 1 minute, add the green onion and mix.
- Pour the sauce into the pan and warm up.
- Put the cauliflower in to the boiling sauce.
- Mix that all the pieces are covered with sauce. As soon as the whole cabbage is covered with sauce turn off the fire, sprinkle with fresh cilantro, mix and serve.