Here’s how to make fruit custard with a saffron twist!
Ingredients for Fruit Custard
- ½ cup milk
- A pinch of saffron
- 1½ cups of heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 peach
- 1 kiwi
- a handful of almonds, toasted
How to Make Fruit Custard
- Pour the milk and cream together in to a saucepan. Add the saffron and heat gently to a simmer and then remove from the heat. Leave the spice to infuse in the cream mix for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160 C
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a clean bowl. Pour the still warm, creamy saffron mixture into the egg yolks, whisking all the time.
- Divide the custard into 4 cups or ramekins (strain through a sieve if you like, to remove any eggy lumps).
- Fill a large baking tray with boiling water and place the ramekins in to the water. Ensure the level of water comes half way up the ramekins.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake the custards for 45 minutes, or until set with a slight wobble still.
- Cool and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. It is better if they can be left over-night as the saffron flavour will develop further.
- Serve with fruits, a sprinkling of toasted flaked almonds