Crispy chili baby corn is a terrific side dish for an Indo-Chinese-style meal, or simply as a snack! Baby corn is of course the star of the dish, its sweetness complemented with a spice mix of cilantro, ginger, garlic, cumin, and sugar. After coating the cooked baby corn with the spice mixture, all that’s left is to let it sit and soak up the flavour, before frying on high heat for a tantalizingly smoky edge.
Ingredients for Crispy Chilli Baby Corn
- 1 cup baby corn
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of cilantro
- 1/2 inch piece of root ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- To Serve
- 1-2 tomatoes sliced
- 1 lime cut in to wedges
How to Make Crispy Chilli Baby Corn
- Blend the cilantro, ginger, garlic,chilli, cumin and sugar in a small food processor.
- Remove this mix and place in a non-metallic bowl.
- Add the baby corn and toss gently so they are totally covered in the spices.
- Let them sit to marinade for at least half an hour, but longer if you can. More flavour will develop the longer it sits.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add the baby corns and fry on high flame for 2 minutes, charring them slightly to give them a lovely smoky taste.
- Garnish with the sliced tomatoes and lime wedges. Serve Hot.
Health Benefits of Baby Corn
- Full of Vitamin C – to help with skin rejuvenating and improving our immune systems.
- Full of Vitamin Folic Acid and B6 – to assist with hormones and energy and great to stock up on in early pregnancy.
- A Good Source of Carotenoids – offering protection against heart disease and lowering cholesterol.
- As an Anti-Oxidant – lowering the risk of cancers as it deals with the free radicals running around our bodies.
- Contains Potassium – to assist with lowering blood pressure.